Barwon Anaesthetic Service takes your privacy seriously. Privacy protection and confidentiality of health information is essential for quality health care and we are committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of the information we handle about you.
This policy explains:
- how we collect, store, use and disclose your personal information
- how you may access your personal information
- how we protect the quality and security of your personal information
- how you may seek correction of any personal information we hold
- how you may make a complaint about our handling of your personal information
In addition to our profession and ethical obligations, at a minimum, our Practice handles your personal information in accordance with federal and state privacy law. This includes complying with the federal Australian Privacy Principles (APP’s) forming part of the Privacy Act 1998 and the Victorian Health Privacy Principles (HPP’s) forming part of the Health Records Act 2001 (Vic).
More information about the APP’s and HPP’s can be found on the Australian Information Commissioner’s website
Collection of information
The Practice collects and holds personal information about you so that we may properly assess, diagnose, treat and be proactive in your health care needs.
The type of personal information we collect may include:
- personal details (name, address, date of birth, Medicare number)
- extracts from your medical history held by relevant hospitals
- notes made during the course of a medical consultation
- referral to other health service provides
- results and reports received from other health service providers
- credit card or direct debit information for billing purposes
Wherever practicable we will collect this information from you personally – either at the Practice, over the phone, via written correspondence or via internet if you transact with us on line.
In some instances we may need to collect information about you from other sources such as referring Doctors, treating specialists, pathology, radiology, hospitals or other health care providers.
In an emergency, we may collect information from your immediate family, friends or carers.
Use and disclosure
Your personal information will only be used or disclosed for purposed directly related to providing you with quality health care, or in ways you would reasonably expect us to use it in order to provide you with this service.
This includes use or disclosure:
- to the professional team directly involved in your health care, including treating Doctors, pathology services, radiology services and other specialists outside this medical practice
For example, this may occur through referral to other Doctors when requesting medical tests or in the report or result returned to us following the referrals
- to your health insurance fund, Medicare or other organisations responsible for the financial aspects of your care
- where required by law, for example, pursuant to a subpoena
- to insurers or lawyers for the defence of a medical claim; and/or
- to collect information for research studies
Our practice does not intend to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients.
We aim to ensure the information we hold about you is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant. To this end our staff may ask you to confirm that your personal details are correct when you attend a consultation. Please let us know if any of the information we hold about you is incorrect or not up to date.
Our Practice takes all reasonable steps to protect the security of the personal information we hold by:
- securing our premises
- using passwords on all electronic systems and databases and varying access levels to protect electronic information from unauthorised interference, access, modification or disclosure
- storing hard copy records in secure filing cabinets & locked safes that are accessible only to Practice staff
Access to your personal information
Your information held on the Barwon Anaesthetic Service system may be made available for access to you upon your written request.
Amendment of your personal information
If you consider the information we hold about you is not correct, please contact the Practice in writing. You have the right to have any incorrect information corrected. It is your responsibility to advise Barwon Anaesthetic Service of any changes to your details or situation (such as changes to medication, health, or other service provider changes). It is also your responsibility to advise of any changes to your contact details.
What about the use of personal information for direct marketing?
Australian privacy law limits the use of personal information for direct marketing of goods and services. We do not use your personal information for direct marketing.
What should I do if I have a privacy complaint?
If you have a complaint regarding the way your personal information has been handled by our Practice, please put it in writing and address it to the Practice Manager, Barwon Anaesthetic Service, Suite 1, Level 1, Granada Medical Centre, 88 Myers Street, Geelong. 3220.
Should you be dissatisfied with our response, you may lodge your written complaint with the Victorian Privacy Commissioner at https://www.privacy.vic.gov.au and/or the Victorian Health Services Commissioner at www.health.vic.gov.au
Barwon Anaesthetic Service
Suite 1, Level 1
Granada Medical Centre
88 Myers Street
Geelong Vic 3220
Phone : (03) 52211522
Fax: (03) 52290399
Email : email@example.com